I am trying something new this week. There is no video, but rather an audio podcast. So click on the play button below to listen and jump into this week’s module.https://peacelearner.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/week-4-transforming-conflict-nonvioelnty.mp3″
This week we look at nonviolent ways to manage and resolve conflicts. This topic follows nicely from the previous week because a lot of the skills and methods needed to successfully resolve conflicts require thought and practice dedicated to social and emotional learning.
The learning objectives of this week are that you will be able to:
- Define conflict
- Explore effective ways of managing conflicts between learners
- Appreciate the opportunities for growth that are present when conflicts arise
- Evaluate peer mediation programs from various schools
- Practice reflective and active listening skills
- Understand the various components of talking circles
Key ideas and terms from this week are: I-messages, conflict, conflict transformation, mediation, RASA, reflective listening, active listening, attending skills, reflecting skills, talking circles
The exercises for this week are:
- Daily peace actions (What Went Well)
- Talk with your learning partner over the phone by Saturday, July 27th.
- Participate in the all-class conference call on Wednesday, July 24th @ 5:00pm
- Contribute to forum 4.1 by Sunday, July 28th @ 12:00pm
Continue to reading for the full outline of this week’s assignments. Continue reading